Thursday, December 22, 2011

Snowflakes

Everyone feels different sometimes, because, in fact, they are. Lately though it seems as if others agree, finding me much more different than I do myself. While applying for a job a woman stared at me for a full ten seconds before asking where I am from, not an easy question to answer, even vaguely. I've also been accused twice in as many days of talking down to people. This bothered me quite a bit. I tried hard to find if I was looking down on them, thought badly of them, anything. Don't you have to think poorly of someone to do that? If I give that impression with someone I like, how much more to I have to contort and repress to be considered civil? Its also the opposite of what I'm usually acused of, being a doormat or coward. If fitting in was a matter of changing myself, I would have done so long ago. I have a mental hang up about it I suppose, but in a practical sense I assume its what most people do. And it works. But the older I get, the more I seem to be spilling out the edges, becoming who I am regardless of where and with whom.

No comments:

Post a Comment